Sisyphus, by Victor Pilon : critics are unanimous
Update : Sisyphus - performance marathon by Victor Pilon was hailed by the press and some online publications as a stunning and unmissable artistic event in their year-end reviews :
- Time Out BEST OF THE CITY 2021 (Montréal) - Meilleur spectacle de théâtre de l'année
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) - The 10 most stunning and startling artworks at Canadian galleries in 2021
- Montreal Gazette 2021’s top 10 Montreal theatre shows
- La Presse - Retour sur l'année 2021 de Mario Girard : L'inspiration
- La Presse - Regard sur 2021 : L’art en mouvement
Since September 28, he has moved equivalent of 200 tonnes of sand from one mound to another and taken more than 500,000 steps (400 km) in the shoes of the legendary Sisyphus, whose perpetual struggle he embodies in all its beauty and suffering.
Here are some quotes taken from articles and reviews about the performance :
"There is a certain black humour to the piece – yes, he is just shovelling sand – although Pilon performs it with deep seriousness. The point is that the task is pointless: The meaning is in what we think about it. [...] It's mesmerizing."
Kate Taylor, The Globe and Mail
"In his deep dive into life, art, and grief with Sisyphus, Victor Pilon is evoking some of the true essences of existence."
Brandon Lorimer, Art-Critique.com
"I didn't expect I would be so deeply moved by his performance. It's a must-see."
Eugénie Lépine-Blondeau, Tout un matin (French)
"I first thought I would only stay for 15-20 minutes [...], and after an hour and a half, as I was leaving, I kept thinking: "I'm missing out on the rest of the performance!""
Johanne Despins, Culture Club (French)
"The beauty of it is in the movement. I strongly recommend!"
Marie-Christine Blais, Dessine-moi un dimanche (French)